We want to know what you think about this provider. Please submit comments using our Issues/Feedback Form.
Grades Served: 6-12
Approved as a Multidistrict Online Course Provider Through the 2015-16 school year.
Individual Online Course Purchasing Instructions:
Individual courses from Red Comet are available for schools to purchase in the DLD course catalog.
Red Comet offers a complete online solution featuring common core and state standards-aligned curriculum offered on a comprehensive learning management platform. Our teachers are highly-qualified and Washington-certified and are based in WA State. Red Comet provides additional support for Spanish-speaking students whereby students can request a complete translation of course in Spanish. With the click of a button, our website content changes into Spanish. All students have access to teachers via phone, email, discussion board or online sessions. Red Comet also offers flexible enrollment, self-paced study and login for school administrators to log into the Red Comet platform to monitor student progress.
- Language Arts
- Social Studies
- World Languages
- Advanced Placement
- Credit Recovery
- Advanced Placement Courses – Authorized by the College Board, Red Comet Advanced Placement® courses meet higher-education expectations of college-level courses and prepare students to demonstrate achievement through success on the AP exams. Courses target students who are reading at grade level or above and who are looking for additional challenges beyond their regular school work.
- Core Courses: Core courses are aligned to state curriculum standards & common core standards and help students earn credits towards graduation. While Core courses assume readiness for grade-level academic challenges, they also include reviews of fundamental concepts. Students first review and learn the fundamentals and then build upon this knowledge. Each semester course offers 70-90 hours of self-paced study, written assignments followed by final tests. Some Core courses also require the student to complete reading comprehension exercises. All Core courses provide practice quizzes that the student could take prior to the final tests. The world language courses also require voice activities. Some of the enrichment courses have mid-term and final exams.
If schools want greater rigor for their students, Red Comet can assign up to a dozen additional written assignments as well as up to four research projects for the student.
- Enrichment Courses: Red Comet offers over 100 electives that cover a wide range of subject matter. Several are career-oriented and allow a student to explore potential future careers while others address new technological advances and interesting topics in all subject areas. A number of them also address the topics of Physical Education and Health. Schools can now offer a much broader curriculum by partnering with Red Comet.
*World Language courses: Red Comet offers several courses in world languages. These courses help students learn new languages and gain mastery over these languages. These courses will require submission of audio assignments.
*Middle School courses: Red Comet offers courses in all subject areas as well as many enrichment courses. Most of these courses are year-long courses.
Red Comet also offers several solutions to schools:
- Dropout prevention and dropout recovery: Schools can partner with Red Comet to create a safe environment where already-dropped out students take courses on the Red Comet platform. Once they are on track, these students can return to school to complete the remainder of their education.
- Improving on-time graduation rates for credit-deficient students: Students who need specific credits to graduate can enroll in the Red Comet courses whenever they have to. Since Red Comet enrollment is flexible, enrollment can happen at any time throughout the year. Students can make up for missing credits or recover credits by enrolling in Red Comet courses.
- Accelerating students: Students who are advancing further than the rest of their peers can enroll in the wide variety of enrichment courses that we offer and also in the Advanced Placement courses.
- Meeting needs of an ethnic group: Red Comet core curriculum has been translated into the Spanish language. The translated version of the course is available upon request.
- Students who are either home school or home-bound students: Our excellent support staff is well-experienced in serving the needs of this population.
*Students with special needs: Red Comet can make accommodations to help students with ADD, ADHD etc. Red Comet also works closely with parents and school staff to ensure the needs of disabled students are met in the best way possible.
Student-Teacher Contact Requirements
Red Comet online teachers are available to students throughout the course. Our online teachers usually respond to emails within two school days, and grade and return assignments with feedback within three school days. ALE students also receive regular assignments and reminders from their online teacher via email / discussion board. Students have the option to communicate with their teachers using email, phone, and discussion board or via online sessions.
For non-ALE students, Red Comet teachers will not initiate contact unless a student requests it.
All ALE students must mandatorily keep in touch with our teachers on a weekly basis. Mostly, they do this by responding to the weekly assignment that the teacher assigns the student. If a student does not make contact for a week, then the Red Comet Student Services staff will follow-up with the student.
Red Comet uses BrainHoney / Buzz Learning Management System. BrainHoney is a tested platform for education institutions. The platform is completely web-based and hosted on large enterprise servers, requiring very little IT infrastructure from our partner schools and districts.
ALE Support in DLD Catalog
As an OSPI-approved provider that participates in the DLD catalog, Red Comet has supplied information on how they support student contact, written student learning plans, and monthly evaluations.
Student Performance and Demographics
Data for school year: 2015-2016
Teacher-to-student ratio: 1:35
Course completion rate: 96% of 2690 enrollments
Course pass rate: 99% of 2582 enrollments
Student Satisfaction Survey
Data for school year: 2015-2016
Average Student Satisfaction:
5.0 (2 responses)